Latest Articles

How To Change Windows XP Shutdown Dialog Box


Here I am going to tell you that how to customize the default Shutdown Dialog Box in Windows XP.

First let me tell you what is Shutdown Dialog Box. See below :



Lets Start :


Requirements :

1) Resource Hacker
2) Windows XP Installed on your system
3) Images you want to replace


Before starting I would like to tell you that this tutorial needs some basic knowledge about Resource Hacker. Click here to read the post on Resource Hacker.

First download these images that you have to replace with default images.

We have to edit 2 dll files here :

1) Shell32.dll
2) Msgina.dll


Editing Shell32.dll :

Now open Resource Hacker and press Ctrl+O and navigate to C drive >> System32 >> shell32.dll and click on Open.

Navigate to Bitmap >> 14351 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan1.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap > 14353 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan2.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap >> 14354 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan1.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap >> 14355 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan2.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap >> 14356 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan3.bmp

Now save your file.

Editing Msgine.dll :

Again press Ctrl+O and navigate to C drive >> System32 >> msgina.dll and click on Open.

Navigate to Bitmap >> 20140 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan1.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap > 20141 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan2.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap >> 20142 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan1.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap >> 20143 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan2.bmp
Navigate to Bitmap >> 20100 >> 1033 and replace this image with gagan4.bmp


Now save your file.

And when you will click on Shutdown button, the dialog box will look like this :



So hows the new look ?? Do reply !

11 comments:

hmm..it looks awesome but too many complexities i believe..or m a dumb head!
very informative nyways!

well u always hav a trick down d sleeve

never thought we could even change this :P

cool !!

just wanted to know if you have this template with u. This looks very nice n i really want to use this in one of my blogs. hope u will help :)

Thanx

@ -=b@pun=-

The name of this template is POP Blue and you can get it from here :

http://btemplates.com/2008/03/15/pop-blue/

New look looks nice :)
Lemme see if I can try it :)

Cheers!

Awesome I Was searching this one from a long time i already have vista theme and now the vista shutdown box .... AWESOME Good Blog...

very nice...it helped me alot....however..i cant figure out how to modify the cancel button..i would like to use a bitmap....i just dont know the code..mebbe u could help me out with that..and thanx ur tut got me a good start

oh shoot...ill check back or mebbe u could email me.. livewiredfw@gmail thanx again

Hi, I have a problem on msgina.dll. After I reboot my laptop...I can't logon because a prompt error pop-ups saying "msgina.dll failed to load..."

Luckily I've able to repair my os by replacing the edited msgina.dll from the original msgina.dll.

The only success is the shell32.dll. I have no problem and the face of the dialog successfully change.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the error of msgina.dll?

I used a ResHacker and Replacer.

hurm just what i've been looking for.. thanx alot mate :)

Post a Comment

Comments posted on 84Productions are Moderated. Please do not use any abusive language.
Do not spam in comment box.


Thanks
Gagan